Postgraduate taught programmes are offered at the Honours and Masters levels in a number of areas of specialisation.
Currently the Department offers Honours level programmes in:
- Social Development:
- Social Policy and Management:
- Probation and Correctional Practice and
- Clinical Social Work
These programmes were pioneered within the Department of Social Development and are today still considered innovative and responsive to the need for efficient and effective social service delivery and policy management within governmental and non–governmental sectors.
Innovative courses on offer at the Master’s level include:
- Comparative Social Policy in Africa,
- Social & Economic Development,
- Change Management & Strategic Leadership,
- the Peace – Community Development Nexus and
- Social Inclusion & Youth.
All our Postgraduate programmes have been reviewed to better align with the undergraduate programmes as well as with the country’s need for transformation and equitable social development practice.
All coursework programmes have a significant supervised internship requirement that ensures our students are equipped to handle the challenges of social service delivery in a transforming policy context. In addition, the Department offers Postgraduate research programmes at Masters and Doctoral levels in Social Work, Social Development and Social Planning and Administration. The demand for our Postgraduate course is steadily increasing each year.
Applying for Postgraduate Studies:
Applicants must follow these steps:
- Follow the UCT online Application procedure.
- Postgraduate Application Forms are available in mid-February for the following year of study. We begin processing applications in April. Early applications will increase your chances of receiving an early offer of admission.
- Consult the Faculty of Humanities Postgraduate Studies Handbook to establish whether or not you meet our admission criteria.
- Complete the departmental application form and return directly to the Department of Social Development.
Please also consult UCT Fees web pages to find out about fee structures for the different academic programmes as well as Financial Aid.